Friday, August 22, 2008

My own blog? But, what if I break the Internet?

I am a mechanical jinx. In my 38 years on the planet, I have killed more machines than any given demolition derby.

My very first snow cone machine exploded during a family cookout. I went through eleven EZ Bake ovens before my mother forbade me to touch them, which made my sisters happy.

As a teen, I learned that hand-held games developed problems if I played them too long. I bought three portable cassette players per year until the technology changed.

The iPod has survived nine months without major incident. It doesn't always sync playlists, which has baffled the Help section of iTunes.
I have blown the motors of four blenders, destroyed two microwave ovens and five toasters.

My last coffee maker (no one will buy me another one) had a nervous breakdown. I would set the machine to brew and nothing would happen. Five minutes later, I would remove the plug from the outlet and I could hear the coffee brewing. My mechanic friend said it was the strangest electrical short he had ever seen.

My computers and software develop glitches that also do not make sense. This only seems to happen after I spend a lot of time inputting data. Surfing or lurking doesn't activate the jinx. I only get viruses after I install antivirus software. The first time I switched from WordPerfect to Microsoft Word, the documents would only save in foreign languages. My college IT professor fixed the problem, but said it was a first for him, as the default language is English.

There are more horror stories linked to the first time I attempt to work with new technology. I used to be more pessimistic about the outcome, but wireless technology has been good to me so far.

Still, this is my first real foray at making a home online. I am keeping my fingers crossed. The Internet is bigger and more complex than any technology I have interacted with in my life. It's got to be tougher than my jinx.

No comments:

Post a Comment