Sunday, September 21, 2008

What is 'A Writer's Look'?

I have stories in my head. They are constant background chatter from the moment I wake up until I fall asleep. The stories I dream are gone before I am awake enough to get them on paper. I am a storyteller by nature. When I look at the world, I see it as a writer. Everything I experience has story potential, from the way the barista at Starbuck’s wears her hair to the traffic pattern between my home and the local high school.

A large part of writing is editing. Seeing the world through a writer’s eye is also revising and editing for content. When I look at written stories, go to the movies, or watch television, part of me is breaking down what I view into its component parts: setting, character, and plot. I evaluate it as though it was a story I was asked to edit. What works in the story? What needs improvement?

People have mixed feelings about seeing movies with me.

I thought I would share my thoughts on aspects of stories I have seen as well as those I have read. I will be writing about characters and storylines I do not own or have any rights to change. These are thought experiments and their purpose is to tone the muscles of my imagination.

They may also be fun to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment